Symantec Digital IDs for Secure Email allow you to digitally sign and encrypt your digital communications using a Class 1 Digital Certificate, bound to your email address. Recipients of your_email will know that the content came from your email address and has remained private during transmission.
Step-by-Step OverviewTo enroll for a Class 1 Digital ID, you will need to know the following:
- The Email address you will use for enrollment. The email address you provide during enrollment will be bound to your Digital ID
- You must enroll for and download certificates to the same computer and using the same email address and browser. 3 email will be sent to the email address that are entered during enrollment. Therefore, bulk enrollment or enrolling for multiple ID's from one computer is not possible. You will receive an approval, password and receipt email.
- During enrollment, you must choose a browser. Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, or Mozilla Firefox.
- Payment is with credit card only.
Secure Email Digital IDs only work with POP-based S/MIME email clients such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird and Lotus Notes. Purely web-based emails, like Gmail or Hotmail, are not supported.
NOTE for Microsoft Windows Vista and Internet Explorer 7 Users:
If you are using Microsoft Windows Vista and Internet Explorer 7 (depending on your security settings) you may receive an error when viewing this page. To workaround this issue, follow these steps:
- Open Internet Explorer > Tools menu > Internet Options > Security tab > Trusted sites > Sites
- In the Trusted sites dialog box, type https://symantec.com in the Add this website to the zone box, and then click Add.
- Click Close, and then OK.
- Close all Internet Explorer 7 windows.
- Start a new Internet Explorer 7 window and enroll.
If you continue to experience difficulties we recommend you use Internet Explorer 8 or later to enroll for your certificate. If you must use another computer to enroll, you can transfer your certificate to another computer when done. Refer to our export / import instructions at: INFO226.