Symantec is the most trusted mark on the Internet
- Symantec secures more than one million Web servers worldwide, more than any other Certificate Authority.
- The world’s 40 largest banks and over 93% of Fortune 500 companies choose Symantec SSL Certificates.
- Over 75% of Web sites using Extended Validation SSL choose Symantec, including biggest names in e-commerce and banking.
Step-by-Step OverviewTo enroll for any of Symantec’s SSL Certificate services, you will need the following information:
- The length of time for the certificate
- The number of servers hosting a single domain (up to 5 servers)
- The server platform
- The Organization, Organizational Unit, Locality/City, State and Country
- Payment information and a contact for invoicing
- The common name. This is the host + domain name such as “www.mydomain” or “webmail.mydomain.com”
- An email address where Symantec can reach you to validate the information.
- A Certificate Signing Request (CSR) generated from the server you need to secure.
Authentication and Verification
Upon completion of the enrollment process, Symantec will then proceed with the authentication process. This requires that Symantec can establish that your organization is legitimate, and is registered with the proper government authorities. Verification is the process of confirming that:
- The Organization is still in business
- The Organization owns/has rights to use the domain name listed in the common name field of the Certificate Signing Request (CSR)
- The Corporate Contact works for the organization listed in the distinguished name
- The Corporate Contact is aware of the certificate request
- The Technical Contact listed is authorized to receive the Digital ID
Do not use any shift characters in any of the enrollment fields. If your company has an & or @ symbol in its name, you must spell out the symbol or omit it in the enrollment field.
The Certificate Signing Request (CSR) file should not contain any blank or trailing spaces.
- Locality -this field is the city or town the organization is located in. This field should be spelled out completely
- State - this field needs to be spelled out completely. For example, "California" or "New York".
- Country - a two character country code needs to be used. For example, US for the United States, GB for the United Kingdom.
The Common Name is the Host + Domain Name. It looks like "www.mydomain.com" or "mydomain.com".
Symantec SSL certificates can only be used on Web servers using the Common Name specified during enrollment.
For example, an SSL certificate issued for the domain "www.mydomain.com " will only function properly at "www.mydomain.com". If "mydomain.com" or "secure.mydomain.com' is used to access the site, a mis-match error will appear as the SSL certificate is specifically assigned to www.mydomain.com.
Verify your CSR
To start the enrollment for an SSL Certificate, go to the Symantec pages.
If you have a Symantec Trust Center Account, please log in here
Once Symantec has validated the information provided, you will receive an email with installation instructions.