Watch Symantec's Tutorial Videos for a more visual experience!
Note: If you are unable to view the video player, please click here to view from the video's web page.
Step 1: Download and Install the SSL Certificate
- A link to download Symantec certificate will be sent by email.
- Click the link in the email. Click Get Started then select Apache and HTTP Server then click Download. Open the file and move the Intermediate and SSL Certificate to the folder that the HTTPD.Conf directives are pointing too.
- The Private Key will also be needed prior to Configuring the Server. The Private Key would have been created at the same time as the CSR file and saved in the location specified during the creation process.
- In order to use the key pair, the httpd.conf or ssl.conf file will need to be updated.
- In the Virtual Host section of the httpd.conf or ssl.conf file, verify that there are the following 3 directives within this Virtual Host.
Please add them if they are not present:
NOTE: Some versions of Apache will not accept the SSLCertificateChainFile directive. Try using SSLCACertificateFile instead.
NOTE: The first directive tells Apache how to find the Certificate File, the second one where
the private key is located, and the third line the location of the intermediate certificate.
If using a different location and certificate file names than the example above
the location and file names will need to be updated to the path reflected on the server.
- Save the httpd.conf or ssl.conf file and restart Apache. This can most likely be done using the apachectl script:
- To verify if the certificate is installed correctly, use the Symantec Installation Checker
For more information, see the Apache Support website.